Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Knowledge in Europe





Today I was in the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. It was very interesting, but in the Koerner Ceramics Gallery I found something what drew my attention. “The map of Central Europe is wrong!” I though readily and I started to laugh quietly. One lady noticed me and asked me curiously, “What’s up?” I answer promptly “The map, the map is wrong.” Then I explained to her where the mistake was. She told me subsequently, “You should tell it someone who works for the the Museum” and I realized that it was a good idea. At the front desk, I tried to clear up this issue to a boy, but he queried me drily, “Do you want to complain?” I was a bit shocked, because I really didn’t expect a question like this. So I answered confusedly, “No, I don’t. I just thought that it should be corrected.” He agreed approvingly, “Well, this is the University Museum and people expect truly information, so…” I added contentedly, “Yes, I think so.” “We’ll correct it as soon as possible,” he finished our conversation respectably. It would help I said myself proudly and left.



By the way, the mistake is in names of Slovakia cities. There is a city “Bralstaine”. I couldn’t find a meaning of this word. I have never heard about it. The city is in place of Bratislava, but Bratislava is already there. Of course wrong, Bratislava is in place of other city in centre of Slovakia, Banska Bystrica. And how did I find this mistake so fast? Because I was born in Banska Bystrica! :-)



2 comments:

Martin said...

is the map for something special?

in switzerland they put the small village Bischofszell (maybe 8,000 residents) on the map, the biggest city Zurich is missing (instead there is Winterthur, which is just an agglomeration).

nort-american education!

Anonymous said...

place of other city (of another(?))